A Whitening Homemade Tooth Powder Recipe

Homemade Tooth Powder Recipe

This homemade tooth powder recipe is a simple and natural alternative to toxic commercial toothpaste. It is easy to make and will even save you money.

Finding a good toothpaste can be difficult. Namely, because commercial brands add detergents, artificial colors, and chemical sweeteners to most of their products.

In short, some of those chemical ingredients can be toxic to your health. For example, check out our recent article on toxins in your toothpaste. Further, if you’re not already making a simple homemade toothpaste, we encourage you to consider it as a way to avoid harmful chemicals in your personal care routine.

Tooth Powder for Brushing?

We are currently learning more about the subject of our oral health, and have found Ramiel Nagel’s book, Cure Tooth Decay, to be an invaluable resource.

In his book, Nagel recommends a simple tooth powder recipe to use for brushing. This consists of only baking soda, sea salt, and a bit of essential oil. I had seen tooth powder at my local health food stores. But it always made me wonder, “Why would I want to brush with a powder???” I saw several natural tooth powder brands and noticed a range of natural products on the ingredient lists. Most of them use some blend of clay, activated charcoal, ground herbs, and essential oils.

Research reveals that sage is a natural tooth whitener. So I gave it a shot in my own tooth powder recipe. And once we began brushing with the homemade tooth powder we realized the benefits

Our tooth powder recipe contains only a few ingredients that can all contribute to a healthy smile and promote fresh breath.

Before you decide tooth powder is too strange for you, allow me to show you how easy it can be to mix up your own. Also, keep reading to learn more about the awesome benefits of each ingredient!

Whitening Tooth Powder 1

Homemade Tooth Powder Recipe

Tooth Powder Recipe: Peppermint Sage

4 from 1 vote
Prep Time
10 minutes
Servings
4 ounces

Instructions

1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a non-metal spoon.
  2. Drip essential oils into the mixture and stir well to combine.
  3. Transfer to a small container or jar with a tight-fitting lid.
  4. To brush with tooth powder, simply dip your toothbrush into the powder, or carefully squirt some onto a wet toothbrush. Brush teeth as usual.

Notes

Follow with homemade mouthwash if desired.

Bentonite clay loses its beneficial properties when it comes into contact with metal, so it's best to use plastic or glass when mixing and storing your tooth powder.

Particles of the tooth powder are fine enough that a small squirt bottle like this can also be used (as long as you don't get the squirt-tip wet, which will cause clogging).

If using the dip method to get the homemade tooth powder onto your toothbrush, you may want to consider giving each family member his/her own container.

instagram
Made this recipe?

Mention @diynatural or tag it #diynatural!

Whitening Tooth Powder 2

Benefits of Tooth Powder Ingredients

Bentonite Clay

This natural clay has the unique ability to bind to toxins in the body. It is especially useful in eliminating toxins from heavy metals in your mouth, like mercury from mercury fillings. Also, this clay will never bind to any of the beneficial elements in your body. Bentonite clay is also rich in minerals that can nourish teeth and gums making it perfect for tooth powder.

Baking Soda

Baking soda has been a natural tooth cleanser for hundreds of years. It gently polishes teeth and naturally whitens your smile. This chart, which shows the Abrasiveness Index of some common brands of toothpaste, lists baking soda as less abrasive than most commercial toothpaste.

Sage

Sage has been recognized by many cultures for its natural tooth-whitening abilities. Known for its astringent properties, sage is great for oral health and whitening teeth making it perfect for tooth powder.

Non-GMO Xylitol

This ingredient is optional but can be added to sweeten the finished product. Research has shown that xylitol has many benefits for oral health. A pinch of stevia powder can be used as a substitute for the xylitol in this recipe if you wish. Lastly, just be sure to get non-GMO xylitol.

Sea Salt

Pure sea salt is full of tooth-nourishing minerals and is especially helpful in healing irritated gums.

Peppermint essential oil

This essential oil has antibacterial, antiseptic, and pain-relieving properties. Peppermint is said to be beneficial for mouth and gum infections (although you should consult your dentist if you suspect a serious condition). In addition, it adds a cool, minty fresh flavor to this homemade tooth powder. If you don’t like peppermint you can substitute spearmint to create a different minty twist. (find 100% pure essential oils here)

Our New Favorite Way to Brush

I should also add that this is now our favorite homemade tooth cleanser! It’s the least time-consuming to mix up, has the longest shelf life (since there is no water added), has a nice flavor, and produces dazzling results.

As always, we encourage you to play around with the proportions to create a tooth powder that is perfect for you.

Have you ever tried a tooth powder recipe for brushing your teeth?

Betsy holds a bachelor's degree in Psychology and a Master's degree in Counseling, and for nearly a decade worked as an elementary counselor. In 2011 she left her counseling career to pursue healthy living. She loves using DIY Natural as a way to educate people to depend on themselves to nourish their bodies and live happier healthier lives. Connect with Betsy on Facebookand Twitter.

Comments

According to the American Pregnancy Association, sage could be harmful during pregnancy when consumed in concentrated amounts. This tooth powder does not contain sage in concentrated amounts. However, we recommend checking with your health care provider before using any herbs during pregnancy.

1. Meg says

I need to read on what the clay and pure baking soda does to enamel but sounds like a great idea! Anybody have any news on if these wear enamel down or no?

2. millie says

Hi, I just wanted to say that breastfeeding mothers should not use mint or sage, as both of these can stop or slow milk production! This is not mentioned here yet and I think it is very important to point out, as plenty of nursing mothers may not know this about these ingredients. I would hate for someone to lose their milk prematurely or have undersupply issues and a hungry baby! So I cannot use this recipe exactly now, but your post is helpful nonetheless, thanks! I enjoy your site!

Hi Millie, thanks for commenting! It’s my understanding that sage can be harmful if used in concentrated amounts during pregnancy. There is only one tablespoon in 1/2 cup of tooth powder here, of which you will only use a pinch each time you brush. However, I’m definitely not a medical professional, so pregnant or nursing mothers should always check with their health care providers before using herbal products. Great thinking on adding this comment to the discussion, and thanks for reading!

• Raven says

That’s if you consume it, but in trace amounts in a tooth powder, which shouldn’t be swallowed in the first place? I’m nearly 8 months pregnant, and wouldn’t see the harm. There’s likely more to be worried about in most commercial toothpastes than in this.

3. Vanessa Brundidge says

I have a question about the Sage.
    Does it need to be that specific kind of Sage? I know there are many different types of Sage…

4. Vanessa Brundidge says

May I ask why you use Xylitol instead of Stevia?

Also, do you sell this so I don’t have to make it myself? 😉

• Rachel-Hannah says

I have seen other recipes, on youtube.com, that use xylitol, and it was mentioned in several of those that xylitol as beneficial properties specific to oral health as well as the sweetening properties. Enjoy the research.

• Carol L says

Xylitol has several very specific dental advantages in that it helps with dental/gum issues. Stevia does not help dental issues. Unless you are allergic, I’d definitely go with the xylitol, to help your teeth.

5. Chris says

Please don’t use peroxide as a wound healer in your mouth. It actually slows healing. Better to use a saline solution, which is the same as your body uses and which makes healing much faster. (Saline is just salt and warm water. You can buy packets which contain a perfect combo to add to warm water…or, just some sea salt in warm water is fine to gargle.)

6. Joyce says

There is a product called Earth Paste that I have bought and a tube lasts for quite a while and has never gone bad: http://www.earthpaste.com/about-earthpaste/

It is basically rehydrated clay, finely ground sea salt and essential oils. (I would not add any herbs to it as those would probably go bad.)

You could make it yourself, but I would put it in a squeeze bottle, like a ketchup bottle found in restaurants (not sure how food safe it is, this is just an example) rather than dipping my toothbrush directly into it. However, it is not very whitening so I put some on my toothbrush and then dip it in baking soda.

Also, once rehydrated you cannot store it in a container with a metal lid; the clay will react with the metal, “pull out the metal” and then will be “spent” and cannot pull any toxins out of your mouth, etc.

7. marla says

What is the shelf life of this mixture when stored wet? I use the salt, baking soda, peppermint oil mixture, except for in a wet form. I would like to try this but I need to know how small the batch needs to be in order to use it wet. I tried using coconut oil in my recipe, but my sinks were so greasy from it and I do not want to have to scrub them every single day.

I know, I hate how greasy things get with coconut oil toothpastes. 🙂 I can’t quote you an exact shelf life for this mixture when stored wet. My best advice would be to only make what you can use within a week or two.

• Carol L says

8. Joyce says

I am not sure if the Bentonite clay is actually absorbing toxins in your mouth, because it is not hydrated. We use Living Clay, which is pharmaceutical grade, and every “recipe” for it uses the clay hydrated. I have made tooth powders with it before because it cleans my teeth well, but in general it has to be totally hydrated to actually absorb toxins from where ever you are using it. It will wet in your mouth, but it takes at least a half hour to hydrate it for general usage.

9. Jason Hander says

I’m glad y’all are addressing all toxins even in toothpaste, like Flouride, and offering solutions. Flouride in most toothpastes is a neurotoxin that damages and chemically poisons the cells and has been linked to brain tumors, cancers, dimentia, and Alzheimer’s disease……
    We use USANA health sciences toothpaste which is natural. There products are rated highest quality in the nutrition industry. The founder is the only Albert Einstien Award winning scientist in America that founded USANA. He is also a well known published author of books such as, the healthy home, a mouth full of poison, and invisible miracles. USANA has been leading the healthcare industry now for over 20+ years all naturally. They have such partnerships with the Linus Pauling Institute, TOSH The Orthopedic Specialty Hospitals, and most recently Dr.Oz’s Health Corps….I’d only trust my health to the best, USANA health sciences.
    I love learning from y’all site as well doing things naturally with least amount of chemicals and toxins. Just wanted to share the information that maybe able to help others too. You may contact us for more information any time. Jasonandterri.usana.com

10. Cheryl says

Just a word on the hydrogen peroxide that I see several people using. I saw a dentist at the University of Nebraska School of Dentistry after I had been using hydrogen peroxide for about a month as a mouth rinse. They were adamant that I stop using the peroxide immediately as it can cause burns to the gums and tongue and it is an acid. They said the worst thing you can do is to leave an acid in your mouth overnight–even if it is the lower percentage peroxide. Only use the peroxide for short periods of time for the express purpose of lightening your teeth or for to heal up a wound in the mouth.

• Jen says

That is totally false. My boyfriends grandmother has used hydrogen peroxide a a mouth rinse for years and has amazing teeth for an 80 year old and her son and grandson are dentists and say it’s fine to use just don’t swallow it. So you can believe who you want but I have not seen any research saying it’s bad for your mouth or teeth.

11. Mel Brueggeman says

I went to the site that was recommended for the clay and for the Bentonite clay, it says for external use only. I’m sure it must be okay because it looks like alot of people use it for toothpaste.

12. Gail says

When I went to purchase the clay it says for external use only. Do you have more information on this item to knw this is safe that yu can share?

Yes, I called the company to ask why the warning was only listed for the bentonite clay and not the others. They said they have to put that warning on items (and they were actually surprised it didn’t show up for the other varieties of clay) because they can’t assume everyone knows how to use their products. However, the gentleman I spoke with said it is absolutely fine for a tooth powder. In short, it’s a liability thing.

13. Jaime Roden says

I like the toothpaste that I make for our family and is almost the same. I don’t always measure just make enough to go in a mason jar: baking soda, coconut oil 1 tbls, this is good for your teeth too, for the whitening put in peroxide, and peppermint extract and enough water to make a paste filtered water and I use a few drops of stevia for sweetening. Our teeth are actually whiter and we haven’t had to go to a dentist every 6 mths because our teeth are so clean.
    sometimes it would be nice to have pwd tooth paste too.

14. Lisa says

I like this combination and it is similar to what I currently use. I am using coconout oil, baking soda and bentonite clay at the moment becasue I prefer a paste to a powder. Do you think I could add these ingredients to a base of coconut oil to make it a paste? Thanks.

• Iris Weaver says

This is a lovely recipe and similar to one I developed for myself.

Lisa, I think you could add the ingredients of this tooth powder recipe to coconut oil without a problem. If you don’t like the texture or taste, you can play around with proportions and ingredients.

When I use my tooth powder I wet my tooth brush and tip a bit of powder into my palm, then dip my toothbrush into that.

Additionally, I have started using food-grade hydrogen peroxide diluted in water to rinse. It reacts with the baking soda to foam a bit and makes my mouth feel incredibly clean. I am hoping it will hasten the whitening process a bit.

• Rachel-Hannah says

I have thought of doing this too, but decided to use Distilled water for the paste instead. I didn’t want to hinder the detox effects, by coating the clay with oil, (or in our case powdered charcoal), Instead we are making 2 different pastes; one simply Baking Soda and Coconut oil for morning brushing, and Baking Soda w/Charcoal powder for evening. BTW, Charcoal removes stains on teeth.