My lips are always begging for moisture. So I developed this simple vanilla mint lip balm recipe that tastes great and moisturizes every season of the year!
Mint for the Vanilla Mint Lip Balm
Mints make their first appearance in early Spring. And I love mint! In fact, one of my favorites is Mountain Mint. To explain, this mint is native to the Appalachian Mountains where I live. Further, it is tall and has a pronounced vanilla mint flavor that works great in this vanilla mint lip balm.
Choose whichever mint you enjoy and/or have on hand. And if you don’t have vanilla flavored mint just add 1 vanilla bean or a teaspoon of vanilla paste to the recipe to give your mint lip balm the vanilla flavor.
First Make A Vanilla Mint Oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons dried mint leaves
- 1 vanilla bean scraped out (or a 1 tsp of vanilla paste)
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 small jar
Place the mint in the jar along with the vanilla bean if desired. Add the oil. Cap well and shake. Leave this in the sun for a week or so, then strain and use in the vanilla mint lip balm recipe below.
Vanilla Mint Lip Balm Recipe
- Prep Time
- 7 days
- Active Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 7 days 10 minutes
- 20 .15 ounce lip balm tubes
- Melt all of these vanilla mint lip balm ingredients in the double boiler (or a bowl placed over some hot water).
- Check the consistency by letting some harden on the spoon. If it's too soft, add a bit more wax. If it's too hard, add more butter or oil.
- When you have it where you like it, pour into lip balm tubes or pots.
Wax can vary a lot in hardness, so this may take a little playing around. The great thing is that you can melt it many times and it won't affect the mix. If you don't want to make the infused oil, use plain grapeseed oil and add a few drops of Peppermint essential oil and vanilla absolute.
You can store the leftover vanilla mint oil in the freezer for later or just make a larger batch of vanilla mint lip balm to use it all. Or add some to some raw sugar to make a complementing DIY lip scrub!
This vanilla mint lip balm recipe shows you that lip balm doesn’t have to be complicated. You should try making some today!