Homemade Sugar Scrub with Coffee
There’s no denying it – a hot cup of coffee always perks me up.
My entire family seems to be coffee lovers, whether it is the smell or the taste. We have coffee candles, coffee soap, and many different bags of gourmet coffee in our pantry.
Now that I’m pregnant, I’m not allowed to drink as much coffee as I used to, but I definitely still crave it! I just love the smell and the way coffee lifts my spirits (especially after chasing a toddler all day long!).
Exfoliating, Toning, and Moisturizing Skin
After reading this List of Simple All Natural Exfoliants for Your Skin, I knew coffee would be a great addition to a homemade sugar scrub. It is a wonderful exfoliator and works well to brighten skin. Coffee also enhances circulation, so it is the ideal ingredient for a foot or hand scrub.
While coffee has a wonderful aroma of its own, I wanted to enhance it just a bit. I had some leftover extracts in my pantry, so I searched for two I thought would work well. The first is pure coffee extract. (Think concentrated coffee smell.) It makes this scrub full of even more amazing coffee aroma.
The second extract is pure hazelnut extract. I love hazelnut flavored coffee! It has such a deep, nutty scent that isn’t overpoweringly sweet, but very rich and warm. Hazelnut has been known to help improve the quality and size of pores and to tone the skin.
Adding to the nutty scent, I made this scrub with sweet almond oil which has an ever-so-slight nutty aroma. I absolutely love using sweet almond oil in scrubs because it incorporates well and is such a smooth, light liquid. Sweet almond oil is also wonderful for reducing redness, improving nail health, moisturizing skin, and as an emollient.
I wanted to add cocoa powder to this scrub, but it ended up making things too lumpy (and turning my hands brown). If you wanted to make this a mocha scrub, you can always add some chocolate extract. I’ll explain how in the directions.
Since this scrub is pretty abrasive, I’ve reserved it for just hands and feet. I keep a little on my kitchen counter and it makes the whole kitchen smell amazing! A little bit works well to exfoliate all of my dead skin and leaves my hands feeling moisturized and soft.
Natural Hazelnut Coffee Sugar Scrub
- 1½ cups sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
- ½ cup dry coffee grounds
- 1 tsp coffee extract (find an all-natural coffee extract here)
- 1 tsp hazelnut extract (find it here)
- ½ cup sweet almond oil (find it here)
- optional: 1 tsp chocolate extract – for a Hazelnut Mocha Scrub (find organic chocolate extract here)
- In a medium bowl combine sugar and coffee grounds.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add the coffee extract and the hazelnut extract to the bowl and stir well
- Slowly pour the sweet almond oil into the bowl, stirring constantly.
- If you notice your scrub has reached the desired consistency you can reserve the rest of the sweet almond oil.
- If your scrub is still too dry, stir in a little more sweet almond oil one teaspoon at a time.
- Transfer to a small tightly sealed container and label.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to 30 days.
- Scoop a small amount of the scrub (about 1 teaspoon) into hands.
- Gently rub in a circular motion on hands or feet (this scrub is a little too abrasive for face or body).
- After scrub has fully covered hands or feet, rinse off with warm water.
- Pat dry with a towel – this will allow some of the oil to remain behind and condition skin.
One of my favorite things to do with this blend is to gift it! It’s manly enough to give to my husband and beautiful enough to gift to my mother-in-law. With some cute packaging and tags, this DIY Hazelnut Coffee Scrub is sure to please anyone.