This homemade gummy bears recipe is a healthy snack! They’re delicious, easy to make, and unlike nasty commercial bears, contain only healthy ingredients.
I once thought store bought gummy bears were a healthy treat. Before our journey into a more natural lifestyle began, I remember thinking that anything low in calories was “healthy.”
Ingredients in Commercial Gummy Bears
I’ve since completely stopped looking at calories in products and started focusing on ingredients. Now when I pick up a package of popular brand gummy bears, I know it’s not a healthy snack like my homemade gummy bears recipe is. Ingredients in Haribo® gummy bears include the following:
Corn Syrup, Sugar, Gelatin, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Corn Starch, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax Coating, Artificial Colors Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue (source)
Most likely derived from GMO corn.
Most likely derived from GMO sugar beets.
Likely from animals that were raised in a questionable environment and fed a very questionable diet.
Artificial Flavors and Artificial Colors
Linked to all sorts of health and learning problems.
Make a Healthy Homemade Gummy Bears Recipe Instead
So, as we’ve discussed in so many of our past articles, products like this can almost always be made at home with ingredients that are far more pure, natural, and healthful. For my homemade gummy bears recipe, I like to use a natural sweetener like honey, gelatin that’s derived from cows raised on pasture, and colorings/flavors that come directly from fresh fruit juices!
Also, I’m getting my gelatin in the form of a delightful nostalgic snack when I make homemade gummy bears! (Read my thoughts here on the benefits of including gelatin in your diet.)
Note: For a vegetarian/vegan alternative to gelatin, you can try agar agar powder (found here). We have not tried this ingredient, and so cannot guarantee the same results when using it. If you try it be sure to share your results in the comments – you may need to play a bit to find the proper amounts.
Homemade Gummy Bears Recipe
You can make this homemade gummy bears recipe in almost any flavor, using different combinations of freshly squeezed juices or pureed fruits. NOTE: Do not use pineapple; it contains enzymes that break down gelatin so it will not set properly. Below are three of my favorite recipes. Feel free to adjust ingredients and sweetness to your liking.
Each of the recipes below will yield about 120 homemade gummy bears.
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Active Time
- 15 minutes
- Cooling Time
- 25 minutes
- 30 servings
- Estimated Cost
Orange Homemade Gummy Bears Recipe
Strawberry Homemade Gummy Bears Recipe
Blueberry Homemade Gummy Bears Recipe
- Combine all ingredients except gelatin in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir with a whisk.
- Gradually whisk gelatin into the mixture, stirring constantly. (Avoid dumping gelatin into the pan all at once, which will cause big globs of gelatin to remain in the finished product.)
- Continue heating over medium-low heat until all ingredients are well combined and gelatin is completely melted. (The mixture will change from a grainy, jelly-like consistency to a more glassy, smooth consistency when gelatin is all melted.)
- Place gummy bear mold on a cookie sheet (which makes it easier to move without spilling once filled). Pour mixture into silicone mold and place in freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Pop homemade gummy bears out of mold and store in an airtight container. They will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
You can also pour mixture into a baking dish greased with coconut oil if you don’t have silicone molds. After the mixture is set up, cut with a knife or use cookie cutters to make any shape you like.
Have you ever tried a homemade gummy bears recipe? What flavor combinations will you try?