I love this homemade coffee creamer because the instant I see that first blanket of snow, I find myself craving gingerbread cookies and peppermint mochas.
There’s something about snuggling in front of a warm fire, sipping on a warm, chocolaty beverage. The tingle of peppermint and the heat of the cup just warm you from the inside out.
My once a year coffee creamer splurge used to always be on a bottle of peppermint mocha creamer. That is, until I started reading labels and realized what was in said creamer. But, the holidays wouldn’t be complete without those peppermint mochas, so I set out to find a way to make it on my own.
Homemade Coffee Creamer Easy & Versatile
I realized homemade coffee creamer is INCREDIBLY simple to make. And the wonderful thing about making it from scratch is you can make it exactly how you like it, and you can do it naturally.
If you love that rich and creamy texture you can use cream or half and half as your milk base. If you’re more about the flavor and less about the creaminess, you can just use milk. If you need a dairy-free creamer you can use any milk alternative you like!
But that’s just the beginning.
With your own creamer you can control the sweetness, which is great if you want flavored coffee but are trying to cut back on the sugar. Those store-bought creamers pack a lot of sugar, so when I first switched to homemade I was shocked at how much sugar I needed to put in my creamer to get the right flavor. I decided that each time I made a batch I would decrease the amount of sweetener I used by just a little bit. The sweetness I craved slowly lessened, until it was the flavor that I really wanted, not the sugar. It’s a fun trick and experiment you (or others in your household) can play with.
Dark Chocolate and Peppermint
This Peppermint Mocha Creamer recipe is for a lightly sweet creamer that really brings deep chocolate and fresh peppermint together for a holiday flavor explosion. Feel free to play around with the amounts of any of the ingredients until you have a creamer that is just the way YOU like it! That’s the beauty of homemade!
If you love flavored creamers, you will want to check out these other great homemade creamer recipes. And don’t stop there… the holidays are the perfect time for homemade warming drinks like Chai Tea and Hot Chocolate. Or, try something new and unique with a warm cup of Mexican Atole.
Peppermint Mocha Creamer (Naturally Sweetened)
Prep: 5 min | Cook: 10 min | Yield: 1 cup
- 1 cup milk, cream, half and half, or milk substitute
- 3 Tbsp pure honey (find raw honey here)
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ – ½ tsp pure peppermint extract (find organic peppermint extract here or learn to make your own extract)
- Pour milk (cream, half and half, or milk substitute) into a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until the milk begins to steam.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the honey and cocoa powder and whisk until both have dissolved and no lumps remain.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add ¼ tsp of peppermint extract. Stir the creamer and taste it. Add additional peppermint extract or honey as desired.
- Store the creamer in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. Use within 2 weeks.