My sister and I always joke that our mother only used Comet to clean all the surfaces in our home when we were younger. (It’s not completely true, but it seemed like it at the time.) There was a green can of that powdered cleanser stored under every sink in the house.
When it became our job to clean the kitchen and bathrooms I can remember hating the scent of the commercial cleaner in the green can. Sure, it got the job done, but it stung my nose and I’ll never forget it.
I think my mom bought it because it was economical – add water and scrub. But I can think of an even cheaper way to clean surfaces around my home, while deodorizing with my favorite natural scent at the same time. I combine 3 simple ingredients to make a gentle scrubbing cleanser that’s perfect for a number of surfaces.
This Cleanser Works Well On…
- soap scum on shower walls
- grime & grease
DIY Natural Powdered Scrubbing Cleanser
Ingredients & Supplies
- 1 cup baking soda (for cleaning I use the cheap stuff)
- ½ cup grated bar soap (I use this homemade cleaning bar, or this is a good store-bought option)
- 15-20 drops essential oil(s) of your choice (find 100% pure essential oils here)
- food processor (find a good one here)
- 1 regular-mouth pint jar (find them here)
- shaker top from old grated cheese bottle, or metal mason jar lid with holes punched in top
1. Grate bar of soap until you have about ½ cup.
2. Combine grated soap, baking soda, and essential oil(s) of your choice in a food processor. (For this cleaner I like to use lemon, lavender, tea tree/mint, or eucalyptus/lemongrass, which all have antibacterial properties.) Blend in food processor until grated soap is broken up and mixture looks like a fine powder.
3. Transfer to glass jar and screw on lid. Label your jar and get cleaning! (That was faster than driving to the store to buy more Comet!)
Sprinkle on surfaces to be cleaned. Using a wet sponge, work this cleanser into surfaces to create a sudsy soft scrub. Rinse well with water when surface is clean.
What will you use this scrubbing cleanser for?