Some women are born with lush, full lips, and some are blessed with thin lips. I have the latter, and sometimes I just want a plumper lip.
There are all kinds of chemicals that can help make your lips appear fuller, and some makeup tricks will give the same illusion, but I wanted to do it naturally.
To get fuller looking lips, you don’t need chemicals. Just whip up some of this DIY lip plumper!
A Natural DIY Lip Plumper
The idea is to irritate your lips slightly so that they fill with fluid and become flushed. The effect doesn’t last long, but is far less toxic than some of the chemicals that produce the same results. Some of the most common irritants are:
- Cinnamon Leaf Essential Oil (do not use if pregnant)
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Cinnamon Powder
- Cayenne Powder
There are several ways you can make a great DIY lip plumper with these key ingredients, and I’ll share two simple recipes below!
DIY Lip Plumper Recipe #1 (Using Powdered Spices)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder or cinnamon powder (find these organic powders here)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted (find organic, unrefined coconut oil here)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Mix all ingredients together and let sit a few minutes. You’ll need to wait for the oil to soak into the powder. Add a bit more oil if you need to make it a more spreadable consistency. Transfer to a small jar with a tight fitting lid (like this).
Prepare lips by cleaning with a gentle cleanser to remove makeup or lip balm, then use a lip scrub to exfoliate dead skin cells. Using a clean finger, scoop a small amount of lip plumper out and gently rub it onto your lips. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then wipe off. Your lips will probably sting or tingle, but this is normal. Follow with your regular lipstick or lip balm.
DIY Lip Plumper Recipe #2 (Using Essential Oils)
(WARNING: The essential oils in this recipe are not recommended for use if you are pregnant.)
- 1 teaspoon beeswax pastilles (find them here)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 5-6 drops peppermint or cinnamon leaf essential oil (find pure organic peppermint EO here, and organic cinnamon leaf EO here)
Prepare lips by cleansing and exfoliating. Apply lip plumper to lips (using a clean finger if lip plumper is in a tin). With this blend you can either leave it on, or wipe it off after about 5 minutes. As with the mixture above, your lips may sting or tingle a bit.
Want even more recipes for your lips? Check out these articles:
- Natural Lip Care and a Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
- DIY Lip Scrub & Mask to Soften and Moisturize Lips
- A Homemade Lavender Lemon Lip Scrub Recipe
- Learn How to Make Natural Homemade Red Lipstick
- How to Make Naturally Tinted Lip Balm: 3 Colors