Have you ever had the blues? (Raising my hand.) Have you ever been revved up and too wound to sleep? (Hand up again.) Have you ever been overwhelmed or stressed with work or life in general and needed help relieving your stress? (Both hands up… trying to raise my leg over my head too.)
Using essential oils can enhance your mental, emotional, and physical well-being. These powerful oils can be diluted in a carrier oil for topical use, dripped into a bath, added to personal care products, or used in a diffuser. Direct inhalation, however, works best for immediate effects.
How It Works
I will attempt to explain how essential oils can improve mood in my very best (but most likely flawed) scientific way. Here it goes… tiny receptors in our nostrils are stimulated by the essential oil molecules. The essence of the aroma is immediately sent to the limbic system–this is the part of the brain that affects emotion. Once the limbic system is stimulated, it releases chemicals like serotonin and endorphins which help us achieve a more relaxed state. (Feel free to correct me if you have a better understanding of this fancy schmancy science stuff!)
Some of my favorite essential oils have very therapeutic properties and can be utilized for aromatherapy in the home. I keep small spray bottles of aromatherapy spray in different rooms of the house… one at the bedside as a linen spray, one on my desk for alertness, and one in the living room as a general air freshener and pick-me-up.
Homemade Aromatherapy Spray
- small spray bottle with a fine mister (2 oz. bottle like this works well)
- 1 ounce high-proof vodka, distilled water, or a blend (alcohol helps the aroma linger a little longer)
- 20 drops of your favorite essential oil blend depending on the mood you want to achieve (see suggestions below) – find 100% pure essential oils here
Combine ingredients in spray bottle. Shake well before each use. Spray as needed to achieve desired effect.
Suggested Essential Oil Blends to Use:
For a calming pillow/linen spray:
- 15 drops chamomile and 5 drops lavender OR,
- 10 drops chamomile, 5 drops sage, and 5 drops bergamot OR,
- 10 drops rosemary and 10 drops lavender
For an energizing room spray:
- 12 drops rosemary and 8 drops bergamot OR,
- 10 drops peppermint and 10 drops lemon OR,
- 10 drops bergamot, 5 drops orange, and 5 drops grapefruit
For a spray that beats the blues:
- 12 drops orange and 8 drops grapefruit OR,
- 20 drops grapefruit
Note: Find these pure essential oils and many more online HERE.
Tips and Warnings:
- Always store things made with essential oils in a cool place away from sunlight.
- Use only light colored oils for pillow/linen sprays to avoid staining linens.
- Carefully select essential oils that are right for you, keeping safety precautions in mind. Use this chart to learn more about each oil or to experiment with your own oil blends.
- Always use essential oils with care. They are very volatile, pure plant extracts.