Pin It

This is the ORIGINAL homemade laundry detergent recipe, all others only imitate what you’ll find here.

This is a fun project that will save you money and help you rid your home of toxic chemical cleaners.

When you’re done making this check out these other related articles:

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Note: No time or desire to make your own laundry detergent? You can always purchase natural brands like these.

When we first set out to make our own homemade laundry detergent we thought it would be difficult and time consuming – turns out it’s neither. Making your own laundry powder is fast, easy, and inexpensive.

We opt for powder over liquid in respect for opportunity cost, storage, and simplicity (the liquid variety takes longer to make, requires more storage space, and is more complicated). And now, years after making our first batch, thousands of others have tried it and loved the results.

This powdered detergent recipe requires just three simple ingredients and takes only a few minutes to make:

Note: This soap/detergent works in all HE front-load washers; read more below.

Soap Recipe

Each batch yields approximately 32 ounces (between 32-64 loads based on how many Tbsp used per load).

Directions

Thoroughly stir together for 5 minutes and enjoy the results! You can take this a step further and blend the mixture in a blender or food processor to create a powder that will dissolve easily even in cold water. (Just be sure to let the dust settle before removing the lid of your blender or food processor so you don’t inhale the fine particles.) Store in a sealed container with a small scoop.

To Use

Use 1 Tbsp per load (or 2-3 Tbsp for large or heavily soiled loads).

Laundry Ingredients

I purchased all these ingredients at my local grocery store:

Note on ingredients: use whatever ingredients you are comfortable with. Many people cannot afford natural soaps, while others make their own. Brands of commonly used bar soaps include Pure & Natural®, Fels-Naptha® and/or ZOTE®. Both ZOTE® and Fels-Naptha® are made for and sold as a “laundry bar.” If you’re looking for a pure, natural solution you’ll need to go with a handcrafted soap so you can be sure of its ingredients.

All items can be found in the laundry aisle of most grocery stores.

Continue reading pages 2 and 3 for the pictorial instructions, cost savings breakdown, notes on HE washers, septic tanks, and borax safety.

- Page 1 – Page 2Page 3 -

Print Friendly
Pin It

Comments

• Anna says

After dumping any excess material in the toilet, I always dumped my diapers into a small trash can filled with water with a little bit of soap, lemon juice or borax until washing day. Helps the stains get out, and they don’t smell the first few days. Then you just dump that concoction straight to the washer and do a pre-rinse. Not even conventional detergent will get all the stains out- without bleach (which I never used). See the comment below about sunshine. That is a good tip.

• Anna says

By the way, I’m using Kirk’s Castile Fragrance Free soap which you can get online for way way cheaper than Dr. Bronner’s!

1. Michele says

I am currently using the liquid form of the DIY laundry soap on my son’s diapers. (Same ingredients, just dissolved in water). It does a reasonable job. Haven’t seen much difference since the switch. It is not going to take out the staining, but I found not much does that is not chock full of bleach, etc. I have found that drying the diapers in the sun from time to time really helps with bleaching the stains out. It’s just a little cold out still to do that.

• Debbie says

I know it’s hard on the hands to hang clothes out when it’s cold, but freeze dried clothes are VERY soft! I did it for years!

2. Nicole says

Michele,
    If you want to prevent your diapers from getting stained you have to just hand scrub the poop off. Go to dollar tree and get a cheap bottle brush, or fingernail brush, and use it scrub the poop off of the diapers. You have to make sure you wash the diapers within two days or you cause the stains by letting them sit and dry out in the diaper bag. If you wash a load everyday they don’t stain. I have never had a problem with staining while I breastfed, before my son got on table food. Breastfed poop doesn’t stink and is totally water soluble! No stains at all. But with him being over a year old and getting the boob and table food, the poop is thicker. So, we found just using some plain old bar soap and a scrubber, you can use a bottle brush or finger nail brush, and scrubbing it for a few seconds, and they wash totally clean.
    Also, try hydrogen peroxide on the existing stains, put a little on the stain and sit in the sun to fade it then wash to get the peroxide out.
    I also do a cold wash, then a hot wash, and an extra rinse on my diapers, too.
    I use unbleached organic prefolds, hemp prefolds, hemp inserts, microfiber inserts, and reuseable liners (you can just buy some fleece at fabric store and cut your own way cheaper!), one or two stuff able diapers before, and covers.
    Hope this helps!
    Nicole

• Deborah says

I just used sunlight soap and good ol’ sunpower. Just rinse the cloth diapers, rub some sunlight soap on it, if needed some rubbing motion between ur knuckles, hang them out in the sun and then machine wash them. (I did so by either grating some sunlight soap in the water or just with a block of sunlight spinning right in). Rinse well and dry. Preferably hang dry

3. Jessica says

I used this detergent for the first time yesterday. Did anyone have a problem with it leaving a little white residue on your dark clothes? I’m thinking it’s from the ivory.

• melody says

Just make sure you dissolve the powder before adding clothes. I run a bit of hot water first, let sit a second and then change to warm or cold and finish wash. You can also dissolve the powder in a cup of hot water first.

4. Angela says

Wow this article has 10x’s more comments than when I first read it and commented. I am once again making this recipe but using a bar of zote and a bar of ivory is not equivalent. If I had to guess a bar of zote is probably 4x’s the size of a bar of ivory. Do you happen to have a cup approximation of how much grated soap to use?

Okay so to answer my own question I just went and looked at the sizes of the various soaps. Fels Naptha is 5.5oz, Zote is 14.1oz, and Ivory is 3.1 oz. So if using Fels Naptha use slightly less than 2 cups of soda and borax and approx 4 cups if using Zote.

5. Shawn says

I have been using a liquid version of this recipe for some time now (it called for 2/3 bar of Fels Naptha.) After a while I found that my whites were getting dingy even if I used bleach. Does anyone have this problem with the powder version of the recipe? I would expect that the powder version is actually a greater concentrate of soap per load because I used 1 cup of borax, 1 cup of washing soda 2/3 bar of fels naptha and 5 gallons of water.

• colby says

Ive heard people have that problem with soap with these ingredients, i personally havn’t had problem yet and ive used it for 4-5 years, So my advice would be vinegar in the rinse cycle with your whites, and use ammonia in the wash cycle, it usually says on the bottle what amount you should do, but im pretty sure its 1/2 c. to 1 c. per small load of whites soak for 5-10 min, but def find a bottle of ammonia that actually says the amount, i do know “Nice!” brand ammonia says the amount but im not sure about the other one, note, i don’t think it needs saying but it cant hurt, do not mix bleach and ammonia.

if this doesn’t help let it soak longer in the ammonia or bleach water.

Hope this helps….

• Jessica says

I use Zote soap as I have naturally hard water and Zote has ‘natural brightners’ in the soap. It helped my clothes and I personally liked the scent better then frels too.

6. mirisha says

Is 1tbs enough??? Both boxes say to use 1/2 cup per load along with your regular detergent…

• melody says

You only use 2 tablespoons with each load. I store in am empty container which came with 2 tablespoon scoops included. Health food containers such as Chia have those scoops. My son had a class in high school and one thing they taught him was that you did not really need as much detergent per load and commercial detergents called for. It was better for the clothes to use less.

7. Toni says

I have been using the liquid version of this soap, after finding that the grated bar soap didn’t dissolve quickly enough in the wash when using the dry version. I’ve used both unscented Dove and castile soap, and have had good results with both. That being said, my children are grown and gone, so I don’t have to deal with diaper stains or really dirty kids’ clothes. Although, my hubby manages to get himself pretty grubby on weekends. :)

8. Kim says

I used my blender to blend these in and it works soooo much better .. no more sore arms. :o)

• Nancy Young says

I still use a grater. I look at it as good exercise. I’m 69 and my arms aren’t flabby yet! Unfortunately…..it’s all true…..use it or lose it!

9. Kim says

Oh and make sure you grate the soap first … i tried cutting it up and doing it but my blender couldn’t handle it .. crappy 10.00 blender … burnt it out … oh well back to hand mixing sigh

10. Nancy Young says

I have been using the homemade laundry soap for several weeks now. It cleans as well as Arm & Hammer, plus, I was adding borax/washing soda to it. I cleans my husband’s really dirty clothes just as well. I was so happy to find Zote at my local grocery. I used Ivory for the first batch. I live in a rural area and do not have access to lots of things. Thanks!

11. Ashley says

Ok, I have a HE washer and I have a stupid question..lol do you put the powder in with the clothes…or do I put it in the release box at the top? I have always just used liquid soap and put it in the release box…

• Cynthia says

Not stupid at all, Ashley! I put mine in with the clothes, so it doesn’t get caked up in the top.

• Michelle says

I was wondering the same thing? Look in your owners manual. I found that my machine’s soap dispenser adjusts to a different setting for dry soap vs liquid. Good luck!

12. Cyndi says

Ok so it appears that everyone is making their own laundry detergent these days and that’s a good thing! Maybe the big names will take note and get real.

However…my dilemma is: I cannot EVER find Fels Naptha! It’s .97 a bar in our local Walmart, and it’s never-ever there! People are buying every bar off the shelf as it’s stocked. 10-12 bars at a time! So I went online and sure enough it’s on Amazon and Ebay at double the cost plus shipping and handling. This just pisses me to pieces! Kinda defeats the purpose of making your own.

• Elaine says

If you have an Ace hardware near you, try there. That’s where I gotmine and it was less than$1

• Jessica says

If you live in texas you can request HEB to get you things, and hold certain amounts of them for you. I think kroger and randalls does as well. When in doubt- ask. on amazon- look for prime shipping. If you have a student email acct its free shiping.

13. Angela says

@ Cyndi, I have a lot of luck finding it at Ace Hardware. If this is an option for you I would check it out.

14. Anne says

Can I use “Dr. Bonner’s” bar soap in place of the Ivory soap? It has many natural scents.

15. Elaine says

I make my own laundry soap using a combination of lard and coconut oil. Also, if you add your ingredients (inckuding the shaved soap) into a food processor and pulse for a few seconds, it makes a really fine powder. I also find adding vinegar with a splash of range essential oil works wonders–my laundry is super soft.

16. Louise Baker says

Elaine, do you have a link or a recipe for that home made soap? What are the proportions of lard to coconut oil? It sounds great!

17. Anne says

Since one of the main ingredients of Dr. Bonner’s bar soap is coconut oil I guess Elaine’s info answers my question! Thank you

18. Steve says

I’ve been using this recipe for 5 months now and the results are great. I gave the recipe to my mother-in-law 3 months ago and she’s been telling me that the wash is cleaner than it’s ever been. I added an equal part of sodium percarbonate (the main ingredient in Oxi-Clean) to the mix which helped whiten things a little more for me. My MIL tried adding the sodium percarbonate and it didn’t make any difference. It’s probably the water.

Thanks for your recipe.

19. Lisa says

Thank you sooo much for the easy to follow recipe for laundry soap! I am using the dry version with Zote….beautiful results and wonderful aroma! Can’t thank you enough!

20. Christine says

Another good tip is to put the bar of soap in the microwave. Watch it carefully because it will quadruple in size. When it comes out it will be drier, then throw it in the food processor. Comes out dry and powdery.

• Steve says

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. My mother-in-law has arthritis in her hands and has to call her son or grandson to come over and grate the Fels Naptha for her (she lives 600 miles away or I’d grate it for her). I tried it here and will share this with her. I put a bar on a soup plate and heated it at 50% power for 30 seconds and kept repeating the process until the soap expanded, then used a hand chopper to turn it into a fine powder.

• Jessica says

Jennifer, yes. I do an experiment with my students with Ivory soap. It will look like sand hit my lightening if you get it right. Sand turns to crystal when heated hot enough-incase you didn’t know.

21. Kristi says

I have been using this for about a month or so and like it, but noticed the clothes my son urinates in (has nightime accidents) still smells like urine. What can I do to get the smell out? Thanks!

• Amber says

I have a son who has frequent accidents and don’t have this problem. I use Fels-Naptha and I also add an equal part of SUN brand oxygen cleaner. I also use a vinegar rinse. Hope this helps. :)

• Kristi says

I also use Fels Naptha and have now tried the oxi-clean. I also use vinegar as the fabric softener. Everything washed with the urine saturated clothes is still coming out smelling like urine! I don’t know what else to try!

• Jen says

I had the same problem (I have a special needs dog with incontinence problems). I ended up having to go back to Tide/Arm & Hammer (w/bleach for whites, oxiclean for colors) to get the smell out. I also had to run a “clean” cycle in my washer to remove the odor completely and keep it from setting into other loads of laundry.

You might also try doubling the baking soda, see if that helps at all. It didn’t for me, but it may for you depending on your water quality.

22. joanne says

My family and I have eczema.I looked up Felsnaptha and it lists fragrance. I will look up zote. since Ivory was listed can I just go ahead and use ,my dove soap?? thanks

• colby says

you could definatly give it a try. What type do you make the liquid version or the powdered version. From what i understand the liquid version is better for eczema.

So make a smaller batch of this and try it, i don’t know how well it will clean if you use dove, they have more moisturizers in their soap, that means less cleaners, also you can try dr bonners soap, you essentially can use any soap you can buy at the store, but fels naptha i feel is the nest for cleaning.

tell us if the dove works.

• Amber says

I don’t think I would use Dove because it has a lot of moisturizers in it. It may leave oil stains on your clothes. You can leave the soap out all together if you would like. Also, using a vinegar rinse will strip any remaining residue out of the cloth so the fragrance shouldn’t be a problem.

• Jen says

I don’t know how those soaps will work for you, but I’ve heard great things about using Kirk’s castille for people with eczema, psoriasis, and skin allergies.

My hubby is sensitive to fragrances and certain detergents and he loves Kirk’s and olive oil soaps.

23. Carol says

Working on making my first batch of the powdered version. I really appreciate the recipe and all the helpful comments.

I do have to say that “around 5 minutes to create” is a bit of an exaggeration though. It took me almost 10 just to grate the (Fels) soap with a hand grater. Not that 10 minutes is horrible. But, if you grate for 5, and stir for 5 then you can’t make it is 5.

That aside, I’m glad to find this site and all the helpful things you put on it!

Cheers,
    Carol

24. Kimberly says

I used the Fels-Naptha and have been stirring what seems like forever!!! Does the bar soap have to be completely broken down into a powder for this to work? It just doesn’t seem to be breaking down all that great!!

• Steve says

Check out Christine’s post above. If you microwave it at a low power it’ll drive the water off without melting the FN and it will practically crumble into a fine powder.

25. says

I’ve been using/making this for years ~ except I boil mine for liquid detergent. Works fabulous, and has helped with allergies. It’s a wonder laundry soap companies are still in business! Thank you for sharing.

• colby says

i know right, ive made this for 5+ years and also make a liquid version, and it will take an Apocalypse to make me go back to store bought, and even then we might not live to see that so im content as of right now. i love my detergent

• Vicki Burns says

The same recipe? I’ve been using the dry for 6 mos. and have suddenly started getting allergic reactions. Must change something immediately!

• Vicki Burns says

How much water to how much powder?
      I’ve been using this dry for 6 mos. and just started with rashes. Maybe the “liquid” version would be better. Getting desperate!

26. Kristin says

Matt, I’ve been using this recipe for over a year now, and I will N-E-V-E-R go back to store-bought garbage. Thank you SOOOO much for sharing this. It was the start of our revolution into handmade, and I’m so glad I did it! I use the Fels-Naphtha, grate it in the food processor, and it takes no time at all. Shake it all up in a gallon-sized sealable bag and it’s good to go. I keep it in an unlidded mason jar on my washing machine and the whole laundry room smells sooo good (and we have the litterboxes for 4 cats in there too!). I’ve put small amounts in baby food jars and given them as gift-samples to friends, because I’m trying to start their revolution too :) I’ve posted how much I love the recipe on FB and have had nine friends (that I know of!) turn a new leaf!! Awesome, awesome, awesome~

27. pamela says

I have to be honest, my husband and I used this for six months, and we weren’t happy. I really wanted it to work, since I invested in the materials, and it was better for the environment, etc., etc., but it made our clothes all splotchy. It was especially bad with our “reds”, and we wear red shirts to work everyday. So we looked awful. I used Felz-Naptha. Maybe that was the problem? Sometimes the soap looked like it never dissolved in the wash. It would be caked in clumps on our jeans. We moved and just bought our first washer and dryer (we were using a laundromat with HE washers before), and I am too scared to put this through my expensive washing machine, so we went back to Seventh Generation. Costly, but our reds come out like they are supposed to. Thanks for the recipe, but it’s not for me.

• says

If you want to try I have two suggestions: 1) use different soap, like maybe Ivory 2) blend soap shavings into powder with other ingredients using a food processor.

• colby says

sorry to hear about that, i have heard a couple of people have that issue, i recommend trying the liquid version, it takes a little more time but less chance of issues.
      1/2 c. grated soap
      1/2 c. borax
      1/2 c. washing soda
      10-12 c. soap

so take 2 c, of water and boil it on the stove, slowly add in the grated soap, lower the temperature so that the soap doesn’t rapidly boil just a slow simmer like boil. once soap is dissolved move into a container, preferably one big enough to stir like a stock pot,
      once in container add the washing soda, borax and remaining water, mix really well, try to smash any clumps from the powders before hand.
      Let sit over night it will be extremely gelatinous and almost jello like. mix really well with a wire whisk or a mixer, you can usually get it smooth almost cream-like but there will be little clumps throughout the mixture, use 1\4 c. for normal to large loads and 1/2 for extra large and heavily soiled. you can use whatever water temp, (you have to use hot to dissolve the powder from of this recipe)

you never have an issue with undissolved soap and it does extend the amount. this recipe will make around 35-50 loads. Ps. Fels naptha shouldn’t have an issue in this recipe, i prefer it because of the smell and the cleaning ability. i have used this recipe for 5+ years and have never ever been disappointed, actually i converted my aunt who was a tide freak. she never ever ever used anything other then tide.

also this should be fine in any HE washer, the borax and washing soda are HE compatible and the amount of soap is negligible and if it does bubble it doesn’t last 30 sec, i have used this with normal and he and haven’t had an issue yet

• Maren says

We haven’t had success with it either. The first few weeks I felt like it worked great, but lately our clothes have a really weird smell. I washed them with regular detergent and it went away, but as soon as I started using the homemade detergent the smell came back. Anyone know what is causing this?? I would love to go back to the homemade kind?

28. Mona says

I was making this recipe for over a year and loved it! However, we started noticing a dingy appearance to our clothes. I ran out of homemade soap and we bought some detergent and noticed a distinct difference in our clothes…the dinginess was gone. HELP! I hate buying detergent but I also hate the dingy appearance. Any suggestions??

29. says

I’ve been making my own homemade laundry powder for a few years now. It’s great stuff, cleans wonderfully and is just pennies per load. I agree with you about the HE machines. It’s all a gimmick when you have to buy special “HE” formula laundry detergents. Yuck… In any case, I like my version because I know exactly what is going into the product I”m using to clean my clothes. Greetings from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

30. Michelle Renee says

I made this detergent about a month ago and love it but recently saw something about either the washing soda or borax (I dont remember which one) that it breaks down the elastic in clothes after a while. has anyone had any problems with that or heard the same thing?

31. Mom says

One of my friends in Northern Michigan who helped me promote your book on her Facebook page started making a 5 gallon batch of your detergent melting the Fels Naptha soap and making a liquid version. Then she started selling it to her Facebook friends! She is quite an entrepreneur!

• says

This is the best laundry soap to use with septic tanks because it contains zero sodium and zero fillers (like montmorillonite clay) that cause commercial powder detergents to clog lines. It is also completely non-toxic so it will not harm necessary septic bacteria like toxic detergents and antibacterial soaps. Use with confidence.

32. Lauren says

I have been using the recipe with the Ivory for a couple of weeks. I love, love, love the smell but the problem I am having is that a lot of my toddler’s clothes are coming out still dirty. It mostly looks like oily stains and I am pre-treating with Seventh Generation dish soap. Any other suggestions to get food stains out better? I’m probably gonna try the Fels-Naptha for the next batch and see if that helps.

33. Eileen Clifton says

Does this soap work in regular washing machines (top loaders, not HE)? Also, how does this dissolve in cold water? I have not had success using powders because of dissolving issues. There would be big clumps of detergent left on the clothes when washed in cold water.

• Matt Jabs says

Works great in any washer. For best dissolving blend ingredients using a food processor.

34. Diane says

I love this recipe and have been using it for about a year now. I use Zote soap, and because the bar is so large, I can get 3 batches from each one. 1/3 bar Zote, and 1 cup each of borax and washing soda. I grate my soap with my “Salad Shooter”, and put it in the freezer for 5 minutes to harden. Then I run the whole recipe through my food processor to mix it thoroughly.

35. samantha says

I found your site just yesterday and made the powdered laundry soap and have already washed 3 loads of laundry in my front load washer and so far no clogs. The recipe is super easy to make which I like. My husband and I LOVE it! Now I’m off to buy ingrediants for several other recipes I found here.
    Thank You all sooo much.

36. Shari says

I have been making my own laundry soap for 7 months now, and I love it. Today I needed to get more ingredients, in my area washing soda is so hard to find. I see this box of “BIZ”, check out the ingredients and what do I find?! Sodium Percarbonate (oxiclean), and Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) , some fabric brighteners and enzymes. So Im wondering, why dont we use this in our laundry soap?? I was buying these ingredients seperate, and they are all in this nice little cardboard box, so here I am thinking I need to tell more people about this.
    Im very hopefull this will make my brewing of the laundry soap a wee bit easier as this is abundantly found in my area.
    It is also safe for HE machines and Septic systems!

• Matt says

You can make your own washing soda (sodium carbonate) from baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) by baking the baking soda in a glass pan in a 400F oven for about 20 to 30 minutes and stirring it every 5 to 10 minutes. This works best if you sift the baking soda first. Baking soda is much cheaper (13.5lb bag at Sam’s for $6.68) than washing soda and also much easier to find. I’ve heard that some farm supply stores have 50lb bags of baking soda for around $9.

37. Teresa says

I just pulled out my Zote bar after being in storage for 2 years. It melted right through the knife and turned to powder. I took the larger pieces and placed them in my vitamix and blended on high. I think more ended up in the air when I opened the lid then in the container. I would suggest keeping the lid on for a minute or two to help settle the particles. I then mixed it with the 4 cups of each ingredient listed above. It cleaned my clothes wonderfully. The Zote powder was baby fine and easy to mix. Buy some and store for awhile.

38. Tiffany says

First of all thank you for a wonderful site, I have really enjoyed learning!
    I am new to this “natural” thing. Started out in trying to improve the quality
    & choices of food in our home, & it has of course gotten me to think about what I use in my home & on my body. My question is about borax. I have seen many comments on other sites questioning the safety of it. Didn’t know if you had any thoughts on this. Thank you!

• says

It’s as toxic as salt, so if you ingest huge amounts it will make you sick. Using it sparingly in cleaning products is non-toxic.

• Kat says

Actually, borax is pretty toxic if ingested, more toxic than salt. I’ve read many websites saying it’s not as “green” as some would hope. But, the biggest warning I’ve read is that if you use it for cleaning, keep it away from the kitchen area. I’m guessing that since it’s rinsed out and not left on like a cleaning spray might be, and we don’t eat our clothes, it’s safe for laundry.

• Holly says

Actually Borax has been used in dish washing detergent(to wash dishes that we EAT off of ) and also it is used in many recipes for household cleaners. It is only toxic if ingested in large amounts, and nowhere near as toxic as most detergents and cleaners used in a home( such as bleach, Lysol, 409, even cascade & finish)

• colby says

looks like both of our post got deleted so i will post here, your article from the cdc doesn’t take into account the chemical reaction of borax, see when borax aka Na2B4O7 • 10H2O combines with h2O what happens is it shares an extra O molecule (oxygen) turning the water into a 3% hydrogen peroxide mixture which is one of the best disinfectants out there, this reaction happens best in warm water which is why the box suggest you dissolve the borax in a bucket of warm water.. So by itself no it isn’t a disinfectant but once you add water it becomes one. The CDC didn’t look at a solution of borax to h2o or any other liquids they essentially just poured the powder in a agros gell dish and after a given time removed the powder and checked bacterial growth, ( this is something i do for a living so i know) they don’t add a water based mixture to the gell because it will curve the results but once you balance the molecular properties it forms a mixture of boric acid and hydrogen peroxide

Second it has a 9.5 ph level meaning that it will boost other cleaners like bleach.

third, it inhibits the metabolism of organisms or bacteria which kills them.

MSDS, first when it says not available that doesn’t mean there is no research into it, if you look at salts MSDS it says the exact same thing and they know the chronic risk of salt is hypertension etc… it just means that the research they did on borax found that it by itself doesn’t harm you, not applicable is there way of saying our tests and studies say its safe but we have to cover our butts so we cant be sued.

39. Megan says

I’m amazed no one has asked this yet, so I will. What about the toxic “fragrance” in ivory soap? Doesn’t it defeat the entire purpose of natural and safe laundry soaps??
    I just can’t wrap my head around why on Earth you would use it.

40. john says

Matt<first time making your recipe,and i used the Fels Naptha,and i only used about two cups shaved and the 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda and i also used the vinegar as fabric softener and i will say the wash turned out great… although i had one blue shirt had a white ring around the front so my question is did i use too much detergent or vinegar?when i put the soap in i used about a cup is that too much for a medium size load of wash?weening off of the liquid thanks sincerely John Birchfield

41. holly says

what temp do use hot or cold cause i wash everything in cold i would like to use the powder one ???

• john says

if you use powder make sure its hot so it will dissolve well but you can switch too warm or cold after. I used warm first time didn’t fair too well plus i used way too much thinking a tablespoon wouldn’t be enough, it is believe me.