Veggie Burger Recipe
- 2 cups of portabello mushrooms, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups of black beans, soaked until soft and mashed
- ½ cup minced shallots (brown in a pan first for more flavor)
- 3 eggs, or the equivalent in flax seeds
- ½ cup bread crumbs or oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs of choice
- oil for cooking
- cast iron skillet or grill
- Blend all ingredients together. Form into patties and store in refrigerator, overnight if possible. This will allow the flavors to meld.
- Heat cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Get the pan hot, but don’t add any oil until it is thoroughly heated. This will help the food to resist sticking.
- Add the oil and place burgers in the pan.* Sear on one side, then flip and sear the other side.
- Lower the heat and cook through. Don’t mash the burger down with the spatula to get it to cook faster. This will push all the moisture out of the burger, drying it out.
- Serve hot.
Alternatively, you can cook the burgers on a grill. I prefer charcoal for flavor, but use what’s best for you. Again, higher heat is key. Sear the outside to keep the moisture in. Keep an eye on them as they can dry out quickly if they stay on the grill too long.)
Add cheese or any other toppings you like to these burgers. I’ve eaten them like traditional burgers with lettuce and tomato, and of course, pickles.
Recipe by DIY Natural at https://www.diynatural.com/veggie-burger-recipe/