25 Natural Ways to Deal With Poison Ivy Rash

Poison Ivy Treatment

Every spring I say the same thing: poison ivy is NOT going to get me this year! And every year it still happens. I get a small spot of poison ivy oil on me and before long, it takes on a life of its own. Last year I had it so bad that my entire left leg looked like it had been burned in a fire. I’m not one to visit the doctor unless it’s really bad, so I started looking for natural options.

Natural Poison Ivy Treatment

Now before I start, let me say that everyone reacts to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac in different ways. What works for one may not work for another. This list will give you a variety of options to choose from. (Also, we are not doctors, and this information should not be construed as medical advice. If you have an extreme case of poison ivy you should see a doctor.)

Note: Keep in mind that the rash is NOT contagious! The rash is derived from urushiol oil secreted from poison ivy, oak, and sumac. It is not contagious but urushiol oil can be spread if not removed by washing. Remove the urushiol oil and you eliminate the spreading of the rash. If the rash appears to have spread awhile after you’ve removed the oils it’s either a delayed reaction to oil that was already there, or because you didn’t completely rid all the oil from your body, clothing, or other items that came into contact with the oil.

Now, on to other ways to help ease the rash:

Cold coffee: Coffee has a substance known as chlorogenic acid, which is an anti-inflammatory. It can help keep the swelling down. Apply cold coffee with a cotton ball and throw it away when you are done. The oil from the poison ivy can cling to the cotton and spread.

Witch hazel: Witch hazel is astringent and soothing. It can help calm the itch and promote healing. Apply with a cotton ball and discard when done. (Learn to make your own witch hazel here.)

Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree (or Melaleuca) essential oil can help to heal poison ivy rash once it has stopped oozing. Tea tree heals from within first, so it may not seem to be working, but keep using it. It may sting at first, but that will fade quickly. Tea tree is generally safe to apply undiluted to skin, but only a few drops are needed. (Find 100% pure organic tea tree essential oil here.)

Lavender Oil: Lavender essential oil heals rapidly. Be sure to use after the blisters have opened, like with tea tree. Healing with Lavender oil is more rapid and it can also sting at first. Lavender essential oil is also generally safe to be applied undiluted. (Find 100% pure organic lavender essential oil here.)

Ocean Water: Ocean water is about 3.5% salt. Salt can help speed healing by drying out the wound. If you don’t have an ocean nearby, dissolve 1 ounce of sea salt in a quart of water. To use the water, dip a cotton ball in it and wipe on the wound. Allow it to dry. You can also put some on a bandage and apply that to the wound. Leave this on for the day, while you are at school or work, or at night while you are sleeping. At the end of the day or the next morning, rinse and reapply if necessary.

Mouthwash: some say that mouthwash helps to heal poison ivy rash, especially the minty ones. It’s probably the alcohol in it that dries it out, but mouthwash can be antibacterial too, so this may also be the reason. (A natural mouthwash is recommended.)

Rhubarb Stem: Use the stem juice near the roots. It’s not known what substance works to help heal the poison ivy rash, but old timers swear by it. And after trying it last year, I can also attest to it. Apply like most other treatments, with a cotton ball dipped into the juice.

Pine Tar Soap: Pine tar soap possibly works due to the healing ability of pine tar. Often combined with sulfur in soaps and ointments, pine tar has long been used in healing. (Find a pine tar bar soap here.)

Cashews and pistachios: This one threw me, until I remembered the family that poison ivy comes from. This family includes tomatoes, mangoes, deadly nightshade, pistachios and cashews. They all contain the substance urushiol, which is the oil that causes poison ivy rash. It is possible that eating cashews and pistachios could give you some limited immunity.

Aspirin: Grind up aspirin and make into a paste with a small amount of water. Place this paste on the wound and allow to dry. The salicylic acid can help to speed healing.

Dish soap: The very first thing you should do if you think you’ve come in contact with poison ivy, oak or sumac is to wash with a grease cutting dish soap. This can be made at home by adding a few tablespoons of lemon juice to any bottle of liquid soap, or by making your own homemade cleaning soap that’s formulated specifically to cut grease. Grease cutting soap will break down the oils in urushiol.

Wash your clothing: It may have come in contact with the oils. It will spread on the fabric if not washed out.

Wash everything else: Wash any garden tools you may have used, shoes, gloves and even your pet. Dogs and cats can carry the oils on their fur and not be affected by it, but if it gets on you, it could.

Don’t scratch: Poison ivy rash can itch terribly, but try to resist the urge to scratch. This can leave raw, open wounds that are more prone to infections.

Don’t pop the blisters: For the same reason. Your skin may get weepy and get fluid filled blisters, but don’t be tempted to empty them.

Oatmeal: Make yourself a colloidal oatmeal bath. You can use ready-made baths that are available at most stores, or just finely grind oatmeal and put this in your bath. Oatmeal is soothing and comforting on your skin.

Baking soda bath: Dissolve a cup of baking soda in your bath to draw out toxins.

Baking soda paste: Put ¼ cup of baking soda in a small bowl and add a few drops of water at a time until a paste forms. Apply this to the wound and allow to dry. It will draw out toxins the same way as the bath.

Calamine lotion: Calamine is usually a mixture of zinc oxide and ferric acid, or iron. It is used as an anti-itch agent. (Learn how to make your own here.)

Cool compress: Apply a cool cloth to the area to help sooth the over-stimulated nerve endings.

Cucumbers: Make a paste from cucumbers and apply for a soothing effect.

Apple cider vinegar: ACV helps to heal by breaking down the oils. It can also be cooling. It may sting at first, like many other treatments. (Find our favorite brand here.)

Jewelweed: Jewelweed is a plant that almost always grows near poison ivy. It is a succulent, a member of the impatien family. Crush it and apply to the rash. This alone is by far the best help of any of these treatments. (See images of jewelweed here.)

Alcohol: Alcohol will help to break up the oil. (If you are already using our homemade deodorant, this is perfect for spraying on affected areas.)

Lemon Juice: Lemon juice will also help to break up the oils.

A few things I did not mention on this list are aloe vera and honey. While both of these will help heal, both are humectants. They will pull moisture out of the air and attach it to whatever they are applied to. You don’t want to add moisture to something you’re trying to dry out. However, at the end of the rash, after the weepy stage has passed, you can use either of these to help with continued healing.

Have you tried a natural treatment for poison ivy rash?

Share your methods that have worked!

About Debra Maslowski

Debra is a master gardener, a certified herbalist, a natural living instructor and more. She taught Matt and Betsy how to make soap so they decided to bring her on as a staff writer! Debra recently started an organic herb farm in the mountains of Western North Carolina. You can even purchase her handmade products on Amazon! Connect with Debra Maslowski on G+.

Comments

1. Linda Hamilton says

YOU KNOW WHAT WORKS REALLY FAST AND DON’T COST MUCH IS BAKING SODA. MIX WATER AND BAKING SODA AND JUST PUT IN ON WHERE IT IS AND NEXT DAY ALL DRIED UP AND GONE. mY jERRY GETS INTO IT EVERY TIME HE IS DOING SOMETHING OUTSIDE AND THIS IE THE WAY WE DO IT TO DRY IT UP. TRY IT, IT WORK WELL. SORRY ABOUT CAPS BUT I CAN SEE THEM BETTER.

2. Nancy Brown says

After appropriately cleaning the area in one of the ways you mentioned it will continue to itch. If body part can be put under running water, do this and make it as hot as you can stand. It will make it itch like crazy but it draws all the histamines to the surface and they immediately dissipate. You will have about four hours of relief. All natural and this can be used as often as necessary. I believe the hot water also helps dry out the rash. If I get spots on my torso I use some very hot water in a cup and hold it against the spot. This works for bug bites as well.

3. carol judy says

i find that sage grass, is good, break off at ground lever, green and brown stems i use the 6/8 inches from the ground stems.. cover grass with 3 times the amount of water,, bring to a boil, cut heat to simmer for 3/4 minutes.. water should be pale yellow.. just rinse the affected areas several times a day.. also have used wild lettuce sap on blisters.. drys them up..

4. Irene Aguilar Benavidez says

I am allergic to poison ivy and poison oak and I have it all around my property. I have tried lots of things since I was very young. Last year i tried rubbing Clorox everywhere I had come in contact with the plant. My arms and my legs, then I rinsed it off right away. No more problems with either plant!

5. Stephanie W. says

Thanks for this timely post! I started using lavender essential oil on my poison ivy and then bought some natural salve made with jewelweed. I’ve also taken epsom baths with baking soda added. All of these things seem to be helping.

6. Dianne says

When I was teaching, our playground was bordered by a forest which contained stinging nettles. Kids often came in with itching and stinging. I kept a tube of toothpaste (it happened to be a natural-type) in my desk and applied it to the spot. It stopped the itching every time. Regular toothpaste worked too.
    When I was hiking in England I got “stung” by a nettle plant and someone told me to look for some Dock that usually grows nearby, cut a leaf and rub it on the itchy spot. I couldn’t find any Dock, unfortunately, but I’ve always wondered if it would have worked.

7. Ginny says

I get sumac every year because we live in a boggy area, but I have heard that it’s pretty much the same rash as poison ivy. I never realize I have it until it’s too late. Once the rash is full blown, a super hot shower relieves the intense itching, and I bathe with grampa’s pine tar soap, then I either put on aloe vera gel or make a paste with food grade diatomaceous earth and put it on the rash and let it dry. I usually do this at bedtime since I tend to look like an aborigine from Australia with half my body painted in white. But diatomaceous earth has a wonderful cooling and drying effect. After the blisters are dried, I use tea tree oil.

8. Vicki says

If poison ivy is like poison oak, then there is no better treatment than a decoction of manzanita leaves – dried or fresh work, but fresh will dye you a lovely green 😉 This stuff will take a blistering case of poison oak that would take weeks to clear up and have the itching gone in 24 hours. Its practically miraculous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanita

9. Mrs. H says

Thanks for posting this poison ivy remedies information. It’s very timely for me, as I think I got some poison ivy on me the other day. It’s starting to itch now. I will try some of these remedies.

10. JoiLin Johnson says

Years ago, I had a really horrible experience with poison ivy, and there was an old timer from the mountains doing some work on the apartment building we lived in, well, when he saw how miserable I was he said, “Little lady, I can tell you how to clear that mess up, if you’ll do just what I tell you”. Of course I said I would, if the request were reasonable! He just smiled, and said,”Well, take a banana that’s not ripe, still kinda green, peel it, and rub the inside of the skin on that mess, and it’ll soon be cleared up! I did, and it was!

11. Karen says

Plantain vinegar works well for poison ivy and any other skin rashes, bug bites, etc. Plantain is a common weed and most people will have it growing in their yard – steep a few leaves in some apple cider vinegar for a few weeks then strain the leaves out. You can also make a tea with the leaves and apply that if you haven’t got some of the vinegar made up!

12. Paula says

Fels Naptha works like nothing else I have ever tried. Just rub the dry laundry soap bar over the affected area, reapplying a few times a day. The poison ivy is gone in a day or two with no blistering and with nearly no itching. A miracle for someone who used to have severe reactions to poison ivy and had to get shots for relief and healing!

13. Brandy says

When my rash stopped oozing, I applied Vitamin E oil and coconut oil. The itching stopped and started healing extremely fast.

14. Louistean says

Poison Ivy Soap (website) http://www.poisonivysoap.com) It works for us the ingredients saponified animal oils, Jewelweed (this can be found growing along side of poison ivy) and spring water. Jewelweed can be rubbed on site exposed to the poison ivy. PS: poison ivy can be in the mulch you use.

15. Gina says

Fels Naptha! I use it in my homemade laundry powder also to remove the oils from the wash!

16. Eva says

Our family has used Fels Naptha soap for years. If used soon after exposure it really works!

17. John says

When I first see poison ivy I wash with dish detergent, swab with alcohol and then apply Liquid Bandaid to the inflamed areas.

If you have poison ivy, don;t hesitate to do this as soon as the rash and itching begins. Works great!

If I notice I have been exposed while working outdoors, I use Jewel Weed immediately. This is way to remove the oil before it has a chance to set into the skin. Then shower with dish detergent. Dry off and purge exposed areas with alcohol. Then a final rinse with flowing water.