Homemade Toothpaste Is Effective & Simple to Make

How To Make Toothpaste

Homemade toothpaste is simple to make and requires just a few everyday ingredients. This quick DIY recipe is natural, fun to make, and will save you money.

Homemade Toothpaste: A Simple Recipe

Why make your own toothpaste?

It saves money, gives you a feeling of accomplishment, and allows you to leave out all the harmful ingredients commercial toothpaste is made of. Oh yeah, and it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare.

Simple Ingredients

• 2/3 cup baking soda
  • 1 tsp fine sea salt (optional – direct application of the minerals in sea salt is great for teeth, but can be left out if the taste is too salty)
  • 1 – 2 tsp peppermint extract or 10-15 drops peppermint essential oil (or add your favorite flavor – spearmint, orange, etc.)
  • filtered water (add to desired consistency)

Cost Breakdown & Savings

Here is the breakdown in cost analysis for 5.33 oz of homemade toothpaste (same amount as one tube of our old toothpaste):

• baking soda @ 16 oz = $1.00 | 2/3 cup is 5.33 oz which = $0.33
  • fine sea salt @ 22 oz = $2.00 | 1 tsp is .17 oz which = $0.02
  • peppermint extract @ 1 oz = $3.00 | 2 tsp is .33 oz which = $1.04 | Better yet, use peppermint essential oil @ 1 oz = $13.00 | 15 drops = $0.28!

Note: you can use as much or as little peppermint, or other flavors, as you wish. Add the flavoring little by little until you reach an amount you enjoy.

Prior to making our own, we were using Tom’s of Maine Spearmint Gel® costing an average of $5.00 for a 5.2 oz tube.  Based on the calculations above the same amount of this homemade toothpaste will cost between $0.63 and $1.39 for 5.33 oz, depending on how much flavoring is used.

The cost savings will be between $4.37 – $3.61 per tube!

Aside from cost, there are many other benefits of homemade products.  By making this toothpaste not only are we cutting costs by upwards of 300%, but we also know the exact ingredients and count time spent as fun, educational, and useful for all involved!

Making Homemade Toothpaste

Remember, each batch yields the equivalent of one 5.3oz tube of toothpaste which you can store in a small storage container somewhere close to your toothbrush. When you are ready to brush, simply wet your toothbrush, scoop or spread as much paste as you like, and begin brushing.

1.  Start with these ingredients:

How To Make Toothpaste 1

2.  Mix together baking soda, optional salt, and peppermint. Add a little water at a time, stirring after each addition, until paste reaches desired consistency.

How To Make Toothpaste 2

That’s it!   You’re done.  Now go get rid of that bad breath!

Homemade Toothpaste FAQs

Isn’t baking soda abrasive?

No, on the Relative Dentin Abrasivity (RDA) scale baking soda is MUCH less abrasive than commercial toothpaste.

Are essential oils safe for consumption?

First, you’re not supposed to swallow toothpaste. That said, some may run down our throats – and most essential oil providers are legally obligated to print, “not for consumption” on their packaging – but we use it with confidence. Here’s our line of thought: would you rather put the essential oils of a mint plant in your mouth or commercial toothpaste that has poison control warnings on every package? We know what our answer would be, but we always encourage people to do what they’re comfortable with.

What should we store the paste in?

In a container of your choosing close to your toothbrush. We prefer to use essential oils in our toothpaste, which should be stored in glass. We use a small glass jar and store out of heat and light so oils don’t degrade.

Should we each have our own container, or can we share with others?

If cooties bother you then get your own container, if not then don’t worry about it. My wife and I share one.

How do we get it onto our toothbrush?

Simply wet your brush, scoop or spread on some paste, and brush away.

Does this really work?

Yes. I actually like it better than store bought and find it gets rid of onion and garlic breath better than any toothpaste I have ever used.

Where do I get the ingredients?

At pretty much any store, or you can buy them online through the links above.

Is this toothpaste bad for me?

No. But that is just my opinion since I am not a dentist, but the FDA does regard the ingredients as safe.

What about fluoride, don’t we need it?

Not in my opinion. The research I have done reveals fluoride as a toxic poison. Dentists typically say it is beneficial when applied to the teeth of children, but I encourage you to do a little research of your own… I’m guessing you’ll come out holding the same opinion as me.

Personalize Your Homemade Toothpaste

There are so many ways to make homemade toothpaste. We encourage you to find the proportions and ingredients for a toothpaste you’ll love. We even enjoy brushing our teeth with a homemade tooth powder now, that includes special ingredients for extra whitening! You can see the recipe here.

Matt Jabs

About Matt Jabs

Matt loves to inspire others to save money and live more sustainably. He is passionate about eating local, living simply, and doing more things himself. He also writes about Personal Finance at Debt Free Adventure. Connect with him on Facebook, Twitter, and his +Matt Jabs Google profile.

Comments

1. Jim says

I was shocked by a DA above saying baking soda was harsh to teeth without
    reference. I wonder what dental schools teach.
    I saw harshness of baking soda is almost nothing in terms of ‘RDA’

2. Serge says

All this talk about baking soda damaging the tooth enamel is, in my opinion, a total noncense! Not only there is no any scientific study showing that, but it is also goes against any logic! Sodium Hydrocarbonate , unlike all main scrubbing elements ( silica- basically sand, or chalk) in the commercial toothpastes, is water-soluble compound. The cristalls dissolve by saliva almost immidatelly when you start brushing. Non solubles, on he othe hand, are harsh and abrasive on enamel, but they are dirt cheap!!! That is why they are used for mass production. I wouldn’t be surprise that those anecdotal hearsays about “soda is bad for teeeth” is spread by Colgate and others

3. shane says

I recently made toothpaste using your recipe. I have just read that using baking soda too often will remove the enamel from our teeth. Do you know if this is true and if so what would you recommend?

4. Michelle says

I have been using these basic ingredients plus one extra…Nutribiotic (grapefruit seed extract). I have seen a huge improvement in my oral health and find it to be the perfect remedy for garlic breath. I also make my own mouth wash with Bragg’s ACV.

5. sarah says

Great post. I still mainly use regular toothpaste, which bothers me with the ingredients. I have tried a herbal toothpaste but didn’t really like that one either. I am really keen to try your toothpaste recipe.
    I’d also like to try your shampoo. For a couple of months I washed my hair with my homemade soap but I started to get dandruff (which I’ve never had before). Have you found dandruff problems with using the bi-carb recipe. Oh, my hair is long too, if that makes any difference.

• Tabatha says

Their homemade shampoo recipe shouldn’t give you dandruff. Your homemade soap does because just like any store bought bar soap, it is too drying for the scalp. Shampoo is made with sulfates, not pure soap so it’s a lot gentler. Baking soda shouldn’t be drying at all.

• Shannon says

Just to clarify something — dry scalp isn’t dandruff. Unfortunately, that is a common misconception. I didn’t realize this until I started fighting a really bad case of dry scalp about a year and a half ago. Before you start trying to treat your scalp condition, make sure you know which it is (a good web search should help you figure this out).

• rhon says

I’ve see many articles which promise that dandruff is removed by rubbing a little mouthwash along with your hair conditioner. I don’t have dandruff but my scalp did feel very fresh and clean. You might want to try this.

6. Faye says

In my searches to learn more about making homemade cleaners, etc, I found a suggestion that might solve the “double dipping” of others. One such article recommended saving an empty tube of toothpaste and purchasing one of the little tools that is usually used to roll the wide end up, as the tube is emptied.

Their method was to cut the wide end of the tube off and use a baggy with a small hole cut in the corner so that the mix could be squeezed into the empty toothpaste tube, then that end is closed with the “toothpaste squeezer” (for the lack of a better term, preventing leaks from that end.

• shane says

I made this toothpaste and mixed 1 1/2 tsp of cornstarch to make a nice paste, then i removed the needle off a turkey injector and drew up the mix, squeezed it into an empty toothpaste tube.

• karen says

Why not go to the baking /candy making isle at the store and get one of those squeeze bottles with the screw on tip(w/ a cap) used to decorate cakes and candies. They kinda look like the red and yellow ketchup/mustard bottles. They are see through and i think would work great.

• Kimber says

You can go to Wal-Mart and get a little tottle bottle for around $1.00. (Travel size section.) Then you don’t have to mess around with baggies or refilling tubes. If the “paste” is liquid enough, it should go right through a funnel into the bottle. Easy, affordable, and reusable.

7. Rebecca says

I still occasionally use baking soda to brush my teeth if I don’t have anything else, but if you’re using it straight up and regularly, it can be really bad for your teeth. The way it works is that when combined with water, free radicals are released that are able to penetrate the enamel, breaking a certain type of chemical bond in the stains that lets the stains break up and lighten in color as they dissipate. Well, it turns out that it can actually wear away your tooth enamel permanently, and in addition to never being able to get it back, it’ll be more prone to sensitivity and cavities.

8. Brenda anderson says

I am also an RDA I’n a dental office & do perio surgery- it I’s an ecellent polisher & cleaner & the salt I’s also an antibacterial , however .. 🙁 used to often can cause receding of gums, but if you always use a soft toothbrush ( always recommend) & do not put to much mucsle into it you can get away with it- it removes stains excellent & i recommend it to my patients to use a few times a month, for polishing .

9. Brenda anderson says

I would like to subscribe to ? Either e mails or newsletter 🙂 what ever u have-
    [email protected]
    I stumbled upon your site when i ran out of conditioner ( & not a lot of $ to buy it) & googled how to make my own!!! I was so thrilled by your passion to share with us how , now i want to try doing ALL i can on making my own – everything!!!
    Brenda Anderson

10. Constance says

Hello,

I made this recipe and it is wonderful. I have been using it about 2 weeks and my teeth feel great.
    I made the recipe with peppermint essential oil. I store the paste in a zip loc baggie in my bathroom, with a small notch cut in the corner to squeeze the paste out like traditional toothpaste tubes.

By questions/problem is, the mint smell, taste and “feel” dissipated after about 2 days. Is this normal? Does it make a difference to use oil instead of extract? Thanks,

Constance

• Kris says

Constance- extracts are for cooking, oils are for adding scent and generally shouldn’t be ingested unless you have the food grade quality oils.

11. Rachel says

My only concern is that I recently was told that baking soda is not good to use too frequently on the teeth because it harms the enamel. Not sure if this is true, but important to look into because I’m sure we all want to keep our teeth! 🙂 Otherwise, I love all the advice you give!!!! 🙂

• Matt Jabs says

You should be concerned Rachel. My advice is to only brush once per day with paste. If you want to brush any more than once just use water.

• Tabatha says

I personally believe it does. It is harsh on the enamel and on the gums and in my opinion should not be used more than once a week. I recommend using just baking soda to brush once a week because it keeps your teeth really clean. I think it’s too harsh for everyday use though so I will be looking into something else.

• Samantha says

yes it is abrasive and can wear down your enamel. What I do is replace most of the baking soda with calcium bentonite clay. I would say 3parts clay 1part soda. The calcium bentonite clay is a mild abrasive, helps recalcify the teeth and pulls the toxins out of your gums and cavities if there is decay.. I made up a recipe
      2 tablespoons coconut oil
      1 tablespoon calcium bentonite Clay
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1 tablespoon xylitol, powdered (I only had granulated. so I ground mine up in a mortar and pestol and came out grainy so I dissolve it in 1 tablespoon of water)
      1 to 1 1/2 packets of sweet leaf stevia
      1 drop grapefruit seed extract
      2 drops propolis
      2 drops Tea tree oil
      3 drops spearmint oil
      2 drops Echinacea extract (could use 1/2 teaspoon ground herb)
      2 drops goldenseal extract (could use 1/2 teaspoon ground herb)
      1 teaspoon ground spearmint
      1/4 teaspoon ground slippery elm bark

Add more or less spearmint to taste you can also add peppermint oil if you want to.

• Samantha says

I forgot to add that if it gets a little bit to loose you can add a little bit more clay and if it’s too thick just add a little bit more oil. most of these herbs are good for gum disease

12. Andrea says

How long is the shelf-life of the toothpaste if made with baking soda, peppermint extract and water?

• L says

That’s not really a safe assumption. Flour, water, and sugar separately have long shelf lives, but mixed into a slurry they do not and will mold.

13. Courtney says

Okay disregard the above comment…I see the answer above. I guess what I meant is what tastes better? 🙂 Thanks again

14. Courtney says

So it’s mint extracts we want to use not oils? Just seeing what my options are. thanks!!

15. Sara says

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful natural way of making toothpaste. I am a strong believer in natural remedies and in Baking Soda. I appreciate it!

Sara

16. Terry says

Whew! What a lot of great info. I love that you had such a respectful conversation with Ryan DDS. Have used several of the recipes on the site – great stuff. I’d love to use homemade toothpaste (I was thinking coconut oil, xylitol and spearmint oil) but at 56 already have receded gums and without sensitive toothpaste which I believe is just stronger fluoride, the pain is unbearable. Anyone know what I could add? Clove oil? Dr. Ryan?
    Thank you again Matt and Betsy!
    PS Melinda, stevia would sweeten but would it have the same health benefits?

• Matt Jabs says

Hi Terry,

Hmmm, I would start by brushing softly with a soft bristled toothbrush. Also, be sure you’re flossing daily, and you can try making a tea tree mouthwash.

Here is a sensitive toothpaste recipe I found but have not tried:
      ¼ cup white cosmetic clay
      ¼ cup vegetable glycerin
      20 drops of tincture of myrrh
      4 drops orange essential oil
      4 drops clove essential oil

1.Put all ingredients in a bowl, and whisk them thoroughly until smooth.
      2.Fill a plastic toothpaste tube (available at camping equipment stores) with the paste. Fold the end of the tube over several times until its firmly sealed. Or fill a jar with the paste.
      3.Store in a cool dry place away from bright light. Use within 6 months.

• Michelle says

Terry, I (58) had a problem with gum receding around one tooth. I was concerned it would eventually affect all my teeth. I started making Matt’s homemade toothpaste and using it and loved it. However, I saw an article about oil pulling. I thought it was kind of crazy, but with online research figured I had nothing to lose and it wasn’t going to hurt me. I oil pull first and follow up with brushing my teeth with Matt’s toothpaste. I was amazed how the gum around that tooth improved and tightened. My husband said he always had his gums bleed a little when he brushed his teeth and that went away too, once he started pulling. I also notice that I don’t seem to have bad breath anymore and if I haven’t “pulled” for a day, the bad breath returns. I’ve been doing it for over a year now and if I miss a day I don’t miss two, because it really makes my mouth, gums, and teeth feel cleaner. Look into it and see what you think.

• Matt Jabs says

Interesting Michelle, thanks for sharing. I tried oil pulling with organic sesame oil for awhile but I didn’t keep the habit going long enough to see a difference; sounds like I need to try it again.

• Terry says

Thanks, Michelle. I’ve also tried oil pulling out of curiosity. I used coconut oil and did like the feeling but I didn’t realize it might help with receding gums. I’ll try it again. Thanks for the reminder and info.

• Helen says

I also have receding gums. A naturopath started me on oil pulling for sinus issues. It was coconut oil with 1 drop of clove oil and 1 drop of tea tree oil. I was surprised when it helped with the sensitivity of my teeth as well. I recently went to the dentist and told her about it and she said the clove oil is actually used as an anaesthetic for teeth. I have since read up about oil pulling but have not found anywhere that adds essential oils as well.