Homemade Lotion: Natural Hand & Body Moisturizer

Homemade Lotion

This homemade lotion recipe will give you a creamy hand and body moisturizer that repairs dry skin and is all-natural. It’s light and fluffy, never greasy!

Ever since I posted a recipe for a light, non-greasy moisturizing spray, I’ve had countless requests for a heavier, creamy homemade lotion recipe.

Today I’ll finally share my absolute favorite recipe for an all-natural hand and body cream that is light, fluffy, yet extremely moisturizing. The best part, it doesn’t leave your skin greasy like all the popular body butter recipes you find all over the Internet!

This creamy moisturizer will repair your dry skin after a long winter, but it’s light enough to carry you all the way through a hot summer.

Homemade Lotion

Homemade Lotion: A Non-Greasy Moisturizer

4.5 from 4 votes

This homemade lotion recipe will give you a creamy hand and body moisturizer that repairs dry skin and is all-natural. It's light and fluffy, never greasy!

Prep Time
15 minutes
Active Time
1 hour
Total Time
1 hour 15 minutes
Servings
16 ounces
Estimated Cost
$15

Instructions

1. In a medium-sized bowl combine aloe vera gel, Vitamin E oil, and essential oils. Set aside for later, allowing it to come to room temp. (Sometimes it even helps to set this in a warm water bath to bring it closer to the temperature of the oil/wax mixture you'll be adding it to. This helps it emulsify.)
  2. Add grated beeswax and oil to a glass measuring cup. Place measuring cup in a saucepan of water and bring water to a gentle boil. Heat, stirring occasionally until beeswax is completely melted then carefully remove the measuring cup from the pot.

3. Pour beeswax/oil mixture into a blender and allow to cool. (Move on to step 4 when it has cooled down but is still soft.)
  4. Once cooled, turn the blender on LOW. Remove the top of the blender and pour aloe vera mixture in a SLOW, continuous stream.

5. Stop blender as often as needed to run a spatula around sides to incorporate ingredients. If some liquid is pooling at the top, stop frequently to push it around with a spatula. (This step may take as long as 10-15 minutes, and patience is key!) Continue blending until desired consistency is reached. (We use and highly recommend a Vitamix blender.)
  6. Transfer moisturizer to clean jars and refrigerate any portion that will not be used up within a few weeks.
instagram
Made this recipe?

Mention @diynatural or tag it #diynatural!

Homemade Lotion Video

Notes for DIY Lotion Success

• Vitamin E oil is a natural preservative but doesn’t keep indefinitely so use within 2-3 months. I keep a small container of it in the bathroom and refill it from the large jar in the refrigerator. (Although I will say – I conducted an experiment with this cream, and found that it did not change in smell, consistency, or color for almost eight months when kept at room temperature. However, I don’t recommend keeping it around this long, as bacteria can begin to grow in homemade products containing water.)
  • I experiment with different essential oil blends in this homemade lotion recipe, you should too. My current favorite is a mixture of lavender, lemon, and eucalyptus.
  • It bears repeating that patience is key while blending and waiting for this cream to emulsify. Do not leave the blender unattended. Also, be sure to continuously push any separated liquid around so it reaches the blades. You can add a pinch of borax to the mixture if you’re really having trouble getting it to emulsify. (Find cosmetic grade borax powder here.)
  • This moisturizer can also be made with a stick blender or hand mixer.

Tips for Cleaning after Making Lotion

• After making this homemade lotion, scrape residuals off the blender and utensils before cleaning. Rub this excess into your hands.
  • After transferring jars, wipe out the blender thoroughly with old rags (paper towel works too). This prevents oils and beeswax from going down the sink and clogging drains.
  • Fill blender halfway with water, add a few drops of dish soap, and blend on high for a few minutes. Add a little sea salt to the blender for scrubbing if needed.
  • Clean blender and utensils in hot soapy water.

We hope you enjoy this natural recipe, it has become a favorite in our house.

Let us know what you think about this homemade lotion!

Betsy Jabs

Betsy holds a bachelor's degree in Psychology and a Master's degree in Counseling, and for nearly a decade worked as an elementary counselor. In 2011 she left her counseling career to pursue healthy living. She loves using DIY Natural as a way to educate people to depend on themselves to nourish their bodies and live happier healthier lives. Connect with Betsy on Facebook, Twitter, and her +Betsy Jabs Google profile.

Comments

1. Deb says

I’ve made this recipe many times and I get beautiful lotion everything. It’s important to let your beeswax oil mixture cool quite a bit before slowly adding the aloe mixture. Also, I use a stick blender. Love love this recipe.

2. Michele Skrintney says

What about using a few drops of rosemary essential oil to preserve it longer? Isn’t rosemary a natural preservative? I thought I read somewhere that it was.

3. Liz says

I’ve made this recipe many times, and have used it as a demonstration in the lotion-making classes I teach. I have a few observations to share: First, be sure to use weight as the measurement for the beeswax, and not volume since there is no standard of “grating.” Some of my students contacted me to tell me their recipe failed. When asked how they measured the beeswax, some said it was in granules, others had grated it, others used pastilles, and some just melted it from a big block. Start with 3/4 of an ounce, and increase or decrease as needed. Also, fresh aloe gel makes a lovely lotion but will require refrigeration or preservation. Bottled aloe gel may already have a preservative in it. And lastly, be prepared to use that pinch of borax. 20-Mule-Team will work, but purchasing a cosmetic grade will assure you that it is pure. Without the borax, and if the measurements are even a little bit off, it will produce a sticky, gloppy mess. With the borax, it’s BEAUTIFUL! (and I did have it turn out beautiful one time without the borax, too.) Love these recipes! Keep ’em coming!

4. Liv Veal says

Hi,

Would you be open to discussing some observations I’ve made on diynatural.com? I think we can help to drive more traffic to yourwebsite, as well as more sales.

If more sales/clients is what you’d like, just respond here, and I’ll have one of my agents get in touch.

Looking forward to hearing back,

Liv

5. Mary Blair says

Betsy, I love your ideas!
    Would a liitle squirt of ASAP silver solution keep bacteria from building up in this cream/lotion? Or would it ruin consistency? Because of multiple allergies, ASAP silver solution is my main item in medicine cabinet. It is NOT COLLOIDAL SILVER. I understand that no bacteria can survive where silver is present. I use 22 ppm. Write me and I will tell you where I order it. NASA uses it in space shuttles but they use 33 parts per million. Most people can get by with 10 ppm, if I understand correctly. Just curious if I might make larger batch for gifts, and fear it might last too long and bacteria be a problem.
    Dozenelk

6. Kimberly says

I tried this twice at great expense to both my wallet and my kitchen appliances. One, the beeswax mixture never incorporated into the aloe mixture, no matter how long I tried to blend it, although a good portion of it ended up on my kitchen floors, walls, and ceiling from spatter. The second time I tried it in a blender and the beeswax mixture hardened almost instantly to the sides, it couldn’t be “scraped”. I couldn’t find anywhere on here if the measurements were dry cup or wet cup, but I’m assuming whatever I used was wrong. I’m just so frustrated with this. I spent over $50 on the ingredients and all I got was a giant mess. What a crap website.

• Laurie Nash says

Everyone is right – beeswax is not an emsulsifier, hence why so many people are probably having problems with this recipe splitting. An emulsifying wax is needed. There are many eco cert approved emsulsifying waxes that will give great results. And I agree with the preservative comments by people. I love the addition of aloe as it is wonderfully soothing for skin but this will definitely grow bacteria. A lot of bacteria and moulds will grow, often unseen, even looking safe, negating any of the benefits of the beautiful butters and oils used.

• Betsy JabsBetsy Jabs says

Avocado oil would be wonderful in this cream if you want a more intense moisturizer. The oils listed in the recipe are all lighter, and more easily absorbed by skin. Avocado oil may result in a mixture that’s a tad greasy, but still very nice.

7. Tracy says

Howdy! I’ve read elsewhere that chemically, beeswax is not considered an emulsifier. (Just do a Google search for ‘beeswax emulsifier.) And I’ve also read that fats which remain solid at room temperature (such as shea & cocoa butter) are naturally high in stearic acid, and stearic acid IS an emulsifier. Assuming all of that is true, could I replace the beeswax with shea or cocoa butter and achieve an easier-to-blend, non-greasy DIY lotion? Anybody tried a version of that recipe?

8. Crystal Friend says

This sounds like a lovely recipe but if I could make just a few suggestions? First,vitamin E is not a preservative,it will however help keep your oils from going rancid as quick. Because of the aloe,water or tea being used in this it really should have a preservative added- I use liquid Germall plus. It only neefs a tiny bit,like .5% of your recipe and then it doesn’t need to be refrigerated. While keeping it refrigerated probably extends the life of the recipe, sometimes germs can grow and we don’t see, smell or feel them but they’re there. Using your fingers to scoop it out to refill another container will cause this to happen even quicker so if you choose not to use a preservative, definitely use a clean spoon or scoop to transfer it. Another thing that may be having an affect on so many problems with it emulsifying is that beeswax isn’t an emulsifier. It can be used with borax to emulsify but even then it’s not always effective. Beeswax is more of a thickener. To make water and oil mix you should use an emulsifying wax, I use e-wax and it works well. I mean no disrespect or meanheartedness by mentioning these things, I’ve just learned the hard way myself what works and what doesn’t always work. Thank you for sharing the recipe though because it is a very nice non greasy lotion

• Liz says

I think the point is that we’re trying to stay away from synthetic and/or artificial ingredients such as Germall and e-wax (read Betsy’s note on e-wax above). Using common sense, clean utensils and jars, and time and temperature (refrigeration for only a few months as Betsy indicated) will keep your moisturizer fresh and safe. I have been making lotions and creams of this type for years, and teaching others how to do so as well, and I’ve never (not even once in hundreds of batches) had any go “bad.” Just treat it with the same care as you would food. After all, you’re nourishing your body–just from the outside! Love your recipes and ideas, Betsy!

• Betsy JabsBetsy Jabs says

Rosehip oil sounds fabulous for this recipe! I would advise against using mineral oil in anything, as it is a petroleum byproduct. It can have damaging effects on skin, and should be avoided in store-bought products as well. Consider another oil like grapeseed, sweet almond, jojoba, safflower oil, or even olive oil.