For visual leaners, like myself, enjoy these pictorial instructions.
1. Start with these ingredients and utensils:
2. Shave 1 bar of soap. I used a simple hand grater:
3. My shaved bar looked like this:
4. Add 1 cup of borax:
5. Add 1 cup of washing soda:
6. Stir thoroughly:
7. Stirring is complete when you have a powder like this:
8. Store your detergent in an airtight container and enjoy!
Use 1 Tbsp per small load or 2 -3 Tbsp for large or heavily soiled loads. If you have really hard water, you may need to use even more.
You can blend the mixture in a blender or food processor to get a fine powder that will dissolve easily in cold water loads. If you don’t want to do this extra step, you can also just dissolve the detergent in a pint of warm water before adding it to the washing machine.
There you have it folks – simple, easy, fast, and efficient homemade laundry detergent!
When you’re done making this check out our article on homemade fabric softener/dryer sheets!
Note: No time or desire to make your own laundry detergent? You can always purchase a great natural brand like this.
Continue reading page 3 for the cost savings breakdown, notes on HE washers, septic tanks, and borax safety.