Matt’s cravings for french fries are unbelievable. So when we began living a more healthful, natural lifestyle, we had to find an alternative to restaurant french fries cooked in hydrogenated oils.
So we went on a mission to experiment until we created a simple yet amazing DIY french fry recipe. And lucky for you (and us) we were successful.
These fries from our own kitchen are baked, not fried. And they pair perfectly with a grass fed burger!
Homemade Baked French Fries
(Makes 4-6 servings)
- 4 large Russet potatoes
- sea salt (find unrefined sea salt here)
- filtered water (find water purification systems here)
- oil or fat of your choice for greasing baking sheet – we like olive oil, bacon grease, lard, or butter (find quality fats and oils here)
1. Wash potatoes and peel if desired. (We leave skins on.)
2. Carefully slice potatoes into fries using a french fry cutter (like this one).
3. Fill a large bowl with filtered water and add about 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Add raw fries to bowl of water and allow to soak for 20 minutes. (This soaking will remove some of the starch, giving you a crispier french fry.)
4. Drain water off fries and rinse well.
5. Prepare another bowl of salt water and soak fries again for an additional 20 minutes.
6. Drain, rinse well, and pat fries dry with a clean towel.
7. Grease a baking stone or baking sheet with oil or fat of your choice. Arrange fries in a single layer on pan and sprinkle with salt. (Add any other seasonings you like on your fries.) Toss fries to coat.
8. Bake in a 425° oven for 12 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and stir fries around on pan, then cook for another 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Season with more salt if needed.
Allow your homemade french fries to cool for a few minutes before eating. Dip in a great homemade ketchup and enjoy with your favorite fry-worthy meal! (Stay tuned for Matt’s upcoming book on Homemade Condiments, he has an awesome ketchup recipe that will be featured!)
We like to cut more fries than we need and freeze them for the next burger night.
That allows us to pull the raw fries out of the freezer, season to our liking, and throw in the oven.
If you have a healthy way to make french fries at home, share with the community!